Grated potatoes and sweet potatoes, pan fried in butter, seasoned with salt and fresh pepper. Simple, tasty and filling - whatever the name may be. Adding sweet potatoes boosts the nutrition and replacing butter with oil will make it adult friendly too. S loves it so much that he wants me to make it when his friends come for a sleep over.
- Potato - 2 medium
- Sweet Potato - 1 Large/2 medium
- Fresh cracked pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Butter/Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Peel and grate the potato and sweet potato into water.
- Squeeze the grated mixture to remove the oil and spread it on a cotton cloth to soak the moisture.
- Grease a pan or skillet generously with oil or butter, spread the grated mixture about half cm thick. Add oil/butter around the mixture and on the top. Sprinkle half of the pepper and salt.
- Heat the pan on medium and keep pressing the potato couple of times with a spatula. Leave the pan for about 5 - 7 minutes till the potatoes turn translucent.
- When the edges start leaving the pan, gently slide the spatula under the grated mixture, flip it carefully. Starting with a small circle/square helps.
- Leave it on again for 5-7 minutes pressing with the spatula ocasionally. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot as is or with some toasted bread.
- Sweet potato is optional.
- Small amount of all purpose flour can be added to make thick pancake like batter. I have never tried this though.
- I used my cast iron tawa on low to medium heat to get the nice brown and crispy crust.